Holiday Kitchen Safety
Did you know there are more residential fires on Thanksgiving Day than any other day of the year? Not to be surprised but most of these accidents were on the stove or in the oven and were caused by being left unattended. To help keep this problem from happening in your home and ruining your holiday SERVPRO has formed a list for your safety.
- Stay in the kitchen when your are frying, grilling or boiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short time, TURN OFF THE STOVE.
- Keep everything that can catch fire- potholders, towels or curtains- away from your stove.
- Have a "kid free zone" of at least three feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
- Always keep an oven mitt and a lid nearby when you are cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner.
- Never use a wet oven mitt, as it presents a scald danger if the moisture in the mitt is heated.
- Have a smoke alarm installed in your kitchen. Ensure it is in working order.
For all your clean up and restoration needs call SERVPRO of South Elkhart County @ 574-533-2500 or go to our website www.SERVPROsouthelkhartcounty.com